View Single Post
Old 23-02-2020, 01:11 AM   #21
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
This might be being a bit fussy but since you'll have some oil to hand while doing an oil change, it wouldn't hurt to lift the four valve covers and squirt a bit of oil over the cams and rocker gear.
I'm sure many wouldn't bother but if the motor hasn't run for five years, a bit of lube around the valve gear might be lacking by now.
The covers are easy enough to remove and their gaskets are rubber coated metal and should be reusable .. mine are still the originals after nearly 20 yrs.
I held back from posting this earlier but you seem to have benefited from a cautious approach so far, so why not go the whole hog ?

Its probably also worth mentioning that if you do decide to do the above you'll need to raise the petrol tank BUT don't do this unless there is very little fuel in there.
This is because the hinge on the tank is a known weak point and lifting the tank when there's a lot of fuel in it is the major cause of leaks in this area.
Also, I would advise you not to use the little tank prop fitted to the bike.
It only works on one side, which causes the tank to twist and adds stress to the hinge.
Instead prop the tank up with a wooden batten, about 18 inches long, between the deepest part of the under-tank recess and the airbox, just in front of the coils and cdi units.
Not only does this reduce stress on the tank hinge but its a much more reliable prop too.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote