View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
A question for you, Darren ... do you get any fling at all with your brush-applied scottoil ?
I used to run the most basic scottoilers on both my bikes, but although I could cope with the nuisance fling, I changed my opinion after fitting carbon wheels to the monster.
I now use S.Doc, which seems decent but does act a bit like a dust magnet.
But I do have loads of scottoil still, and you've got me pondering a change of plan and adopting your system.
I reckon the merest smear is all you need anyway, so perhaps that avoids the fling ?

With the scottoiler, I used to adjust the chain once in a blue moon, whereas without it I'm adjusting every couple of thousand, or less.
Mind you, I've changed from Renthal to Talon ally rear sprockets ... and tbh I prefer the Renthals. I think they might wear less than the Talon.

For front sprockets, Afam often offer something significantly lighter than much of the competition. I fancy that Renthal probably do as well.
I've seen some from other manufacturers that are crudely machined and not drilled, and these weigh a surprising amount more.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote