View Single Post
Old 20-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #33
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
With respect, I think you might be incorrect there. Static sag alone will not stop the suspension topping out. The suspension can still top out regardless of what your preload is set to, it's not a 'top out prevention device'.

One of the reasons for setting 'sag' is so that with your weight on the bike the forks\shock have enough travel\range to decompress as well as compress. But they can both still technically top out.

If preload, and therefore (rider) sag, is set correctly, there will be enough travel in the fork\shock for the suspension to move up and down, then compression\rebound damping controls the rate at which that happens.

If all that is setup properly (in combination with the correct spring) then top out\bottom out shouldn't happen, but none of that really has anything to do with static sag. As far as I can tell anyway.

Sorry Bob, but having been involved in racing myself and helping others with bike setups, builds etc, you NEED static sag, it suspends the weight of the bike before the rider gets on.
If you have no static sag on the front of the bike it will be nose high, will not corner correctly etc etc, really it will just run you off the road.
Don’t take my word for it give Maxton, K-Tech, Ohlins, Wilbers etc a ring and ask them.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote