Thread: Idle Speed
View Single Post
Old 28-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
If, as I suspect, it's a similar setup to my 1100 Evo, then tickover is adjusted by way of the air bypass screws on the throttle bodies (counter-clockwise to increase idle speed).

They are the large, brass slotted screws on the side of each throttle body, probably with dabs of blue paint on them so you can see if they've been moved from stock. (They might be covered by a black plastic bung.)

Left side (vertical cylinder)

Right side (horizontal cylinder)

Note that, while you can adjust the idle, it's rare that it should be necessary. If the idle has changed significantly, it could be an indication of a problem elsewhere. Consider a clogged air filter, split hoses/air leak, valves out of adjustment, throttle bodies out of balance.

Before you tackle the idle, you should first reset the TPS (you may find this is enough to sort out the idle problem). On the Evo, you can reset the TPS yourself by starting the bike from cold and allowing the temperature to rise to three bars without touching the throttle and then turning it off.

After resetting the TPS, I would ride around for a couple of weeks and see if the idling improves (it takes a while for the ECU to relearn various parameters after a TPS reset).

If you still want to adjust the idle, warm the engine to three bars again and turn the adjusters 1/4 turn at a time until you're happy. Ideally, you should also check the CO levels after this.

As I mentioned earlier, if the idle has changed significantly, you should investigate the reason.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote