View Single Post
Old 20-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I shall be very interested in your progress as I shall stick with the original frame paint (With its patina of rust, and oil and battery stains) rather than losing the original colour.
I'm going to enjoy this thread rather a lot as I've been giving my '97 900 a bit of a gentle refresh over the last couple of years without taking it off the road for too long at a time. I am also pleased to hear you intend keeping the original paint if a convincing match can't be obtained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenniall View Post
I've had the frame of my monster blasted and I'm going to paint that, I'm a paint sprayer by trade so colour matching isn't an issue. The guys in your local paint shop probably wanted a sample that big so they could use a spectro (colour matching camera) on it. One of the suppliers I use should be able to match it by eye, I'm only using him to match it as I want it in solvent based paint, and we only use waterborne paint where I work. If he can't match it I'll match it myself and just paint it in waterborne.
Well if you can match it to the original colour and satin/matt finish I think you will be a very busy man indeed as no body else can seem to.

I look forward to the results and seeing the pictures.

My local paint shop said (very honestly of them) that they couldn't even match the wheel colour and finish on my 900.

I think it all goes back to the 'Cagiva' effect on the early bikes.