View Single Post
Old 24-03-2024, 06:16 PM   #30
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'm with you all the way on drill bit quality Jeff. It seems hard to buy a good twist drill these days unless you get a mortgage out.

I'm not with you on this 8.5mm thread root though. There's no thread under the head.
Only the nut end is threaded, the rest is full 10mm and smooth as it passes through a silent block bush and it ain't good to have the bush portion threaded.

I do agree that an 8.5mm bit would be a good starting point to centre it and take out the bulk. A smaller diameter will just be more likely to snap in long series and much harder to centre in the head.
The final drill has got to be 10 or 10.5mm to take the head off, but luckily a bigger bit will be stronger.

DD; A reciprocating saw would almost certainly end up cutting the swinging arm if attempting to cut the head off, unless there happened to be a thick washer under the head.
You've virtually re-suggested my suggestions made earlier, but regarding cutting the nut.

I'd still advocate taking the arm and shock off if you can.
Remember also that if the arm is in the bike when/if you get to the belting the bolt out stage, that you need to support the bike by the frame and not on a paddock or side stand. As it will just all collapse once the bolt is out.
Pretty sure you'll have to take the rear exhaust pipe out too as I don't think the bolt will come out that way with the pipe in.

This would be a really good way to hold the bike to do this, even if you don't ride with it on.. and cheap enough too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145642800...Bk9SR5qEl57OYw

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 24-03-2024 at 06:18 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote