View Single Post
Old 26-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbo View Post
Motor is as open as I think it should be with the the pipes and filter change; anymore is usually big money and a bike change would be better money spent.
So suspension? I'm only 10stone so don't trouble the standard set up as far as I'm aware,just a wobble over bumps in fast corners and top speed is stable enough. Are there recommended proven routes to go at reasonable cost?
I used to track my tl, but not looking for that fix anymore so just road use now.
I weigh about the same as you and if your TL still had the rear rotary damper then I am sure your Monster feels great but it can be a LOT better.

To a degree suspension is a personal thing but generally speaking the rear as standard sits too low and can be raised on the rose joints of the hoop, the spring is also too hard for your weight and no doubt the damping is perhaps not as good as it should be through age and mileage.

Up front it looks like you have Showa forks which are more receptive to spring and revalving kits to suit your weight and riding style but the kicking off bumps suggests the usual Monster traits of them having too much compression damping while not enough rebound damping will make them feel like they bounce back at you when you let go of the brakes and the bike wants to run wide (raising the rear I mentioned helps with this).

There is more to read on it in this link:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t=maxton+forks

My '97 900 had Marzocchi forks and so I went the Maxton route with them ripping the insides out and machining them to accept their cartridge conversions- coupled with a Nitron shock on the rear the result was night and day!

One other thing- going up teeth on the rear sprocket while sticking with the standard 15t front (rather than down to 14) is a little easier on the chain.