View Single Post
Old 22-05-2019, 12:41 AM   #2
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Apart from being an interesting little tale about nothing much, there is another angle here.
That is, that the diode was not leaking and that the diode mod itself is back to a clean bill of health, in my opinion.
In fact, my initial plan had been to replace the diode with a pukka sidestand bypass kit from Electraeon, which I have.
But, on closer inspection, that kit appears to be exactly the same in principle, just with a load of extra wiring and superseal connectors to make fitment straightforward.
At least, I think its the same. The wiring logic is but the diode it contains is covered in shrinktube so I haven't actually seen it yet .. but I will uncover it and report back shortly.
Not sure whether these kits are still available .. I picked mine up secondhand on ebay.
My setup is neater anyway, because rather than running a wire all the way from the neutral switch to the sidestand switch on the other side of the bike, mine picks up the same wire where it enters the sidestand relay .. which only requires 8 inches of single wire and one single bullet connector ... plus a bit of splicing.
The whole thing is superneat and simple ..you'd struggle to spot that its there at all.
And the harness still comes apart for maintenance.

Once I've stripped out the diode in the Electraeon kit I will post more details of how to do the mod.
I will also be able to confirm the spec of the diode by comparison of the Electraeon one with that supplied by "Xenocide".

Incidentally, these diodes literally cost just a few pence.

The above refers to an original type monster (M750 to be exact, and developed initially on the 900Sie that Gazza now owns) but the logic should/might transfer.

Oh, and for those that don't know, I speak as one who had earlier bridged the sidestand wires, leaving the bike in the dangerous condition of being startable on the sidestand whether it was in neutral or not.
One forgetful evening, that became the reason that my bike is now blue ... the orange tank bit the dust (well, a lampost actually) when I thumbed the button in gear and the bike leapt off the stand.
So, I really really like this mod.
I also like the blue, as it happens.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote