View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
fingerpuk

While waiting for some new parts to arrive for the front I took a look at the back. The rear wheel needed to come out but my paddock stand used bobbins that went through the rear axle. So I ordered an ABBA - which didn’t fit the aftermarket rear sets. So I ordered some rubber cups, and started to take the back apart.

Now whoever (I owns name names) did the rear wheel last didn’t great the axle. And it was stuck. And by stuck, I mean corroded in. To get it out I let it soak in Plus Gas for a week, then used a bit of aluminium bar, a block of wood, and a massive old hammer to get it to move. I’m not joking when I say I thought the swing arm was going to break, but after a solid 15 minutes of whacking the axle it went PING! and started to move. A long time later the rear was out.

And it was filthy! So was the swing arm, and generally everything in the vicinity.

I covered everything in WD40, ruined a few toothbrushes, then took it outside and used SDOC100 and a pressure washer to get everything clean enough to start the real cleaning.

And then after a very long time with more toothbrushes, more WD40, and lots of MotoGP races playing in the background I managed to finally get the sprocket carrier out.

Which was taken outside, dumped in a bucket of SDOC and left to soak for a while before I washed it all off.

I then looked at it in detail and found two things. It wasn’t going to clean up good enough and it had manufacturing marks on it that, if I ground them off, would stand out.

So it came apart.

Read to be sent away for a professional with tools to clean it.