View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 AM   #251
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
The positioning of the regulator/rectifier now also became a concern. Previously I had planned for it to be fitted beneath the RH lower frame tube under the carburetors, attached to the underside of the CF battery tray, but that had to be scrapped when the battery tray will not fit there. I considered putting it under the headlight, nicely in the air stream but the flexing of the wiring around the steering head was a worry.
I ordered a new MOSFET regulator because I did not want to make bracketry for the old one (which as far as I know still works) and then find that it didn’t and then have to upgrade to the MOSFET type with different mounting/cabling arrangements. £37 off flea bay due next week.
My solution I have settled on for the regulator/rectifier mounting will be to make a 6mm aluminium plate to mount it on then hang it upside down on an 8mm steel (but eventually titanium) rod which passes through the bottom yoke via the steering stem and threads into the tope yoke central retaining nut.
I purchased 3 oil filled shouldered bronze bushes (18mm OD x 12mm ID x 12mm long) one to be fitted into the bottom of the steering stem and the other 2 to be machined down to 3 mm long and fitted either side of the 6mm mounting plate. A shouldered and threaded aluminium component will be machined to fit the 12mm bore of the bushes, and threaded onto the 8mm rod and secured with an additional nyloc nut. The theory is that the steering stem will turn but the plate on its phosphor bronze bushing will not. I am pretty sure there will be enough clearance between the bottom of the regulator and the mudguard on full compression of the suspension. The hole down the middle of the steering stem was 17mm so using a battery drill I just opened it out to 18mm for the bottom 12mm and the bronze bush was tapped in. When I get the regulator, I will make the 6mm mounting plate. This solution is the first time that I will be adding weight to the build, it is surprising how heavy an 8mm rod x 235mm long is hence the need to go to titanium. I will make it with steel first to be sure the arrangement will work in practice.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote