View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 05:52 AM   #249
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
First, I started on a mold for the CF breather catch tank / chain oiler reservoir, being an enclosure, it will have to be made in two halves and bonded together. Some scrap 9mm ply was cut to form a template roughly with the outline shape of the aluminium version and a second one was cut approximately 1mm smaller on each dimension to make the back of the tank.
Some 50mm foam was then glued to the larger template and then filed down to approximate the shape of the aluminium version. This took less than an hour although fine tuning it so that it can be removed without taking off the rear suspension hoop took another. An all over skim with body filler followed. This was rubbed down and because the filler is additive to the foam, further filing and filling had to follow. It is now about 2 cycles (filling and filing) away from being finished. This is actually rather boring work and whilst doing this I realized that I need to get on with the battery enclosure, but I cannot do that until I know the dimensions of the battery.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote