Thread: Speedo glass
View Single Post
Old 15-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #12
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitza View Post
Well as nobody wanted my old speedo I tried taking it apart to get the insects out. Turns out it's not an easy job as the bezel that holds the lense in place is glued to the speedo body, and the lense seems to be held in & possibly glued to the bezel. Taking the bezel off inevitably involves breaking the fine base edge of the bezel, and without this edge the speedo would sit too far into the instrument/warning lights holder. You could clean of all the broken edge, glue the bezel back on and replace the section which has been removed with a thin collar. So personally I would send your broken speedo off to some professional who probably have replacement bezel/lenses. Bitza.
I have a small crack in my tacho lense. A year or two back I wrote and got a quote from someone to change it out, and was surprised by the cost. I figured it would be a relatively straight forward job for someone in the trade. So I wrote back a little miffed and questioned it. I then received a step by step account of all the work as per your post.

My tacho still has a small crack and the £280 estimated cost plus VAT has been spent on other bits for the bike...