View Single Post
Old 30-11-2017, 04:06 AM   #405
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Thanks guys for the advice.
No more machining until the telescopic gauges arrive. I will a0 get some paraffin as the bore I machined was a bit corrugated and the swarf was not coming off in those satisfying thin spirals b) as Utopia suggests make up some go/no go stubs, these I can measure confidently with an external micrometer (and on external surfaces with a vernier caliper).
I spent yesterday pondering the packaging of the electrics. Some new coils arrived from Exactfit – the ones recommended by the Fastbikegear people were working out at c 130 euros apiece + customs etc. etc (but they were satisfyingly small). The Exactfit ones were c£140 the pair but whilst they fit the original M900 mountings the design of the attachment of the ignition lead means that in reality they will require more physical space to accommodate them. In consequence they will not mount vertically in the CF box I am making to fit behind and below the headstock. They will not fit either laid flat end to end or even overlapping, but I am confident they will fit angled at 45 degrees to the centerline of the bike and 60 degree to the vertical with the spark plug leads projecting rearwards. Getting the bracketry to work for this is going to be a nightmare particularly as I will have to make some sort of ventilated metal box to provide a faraday cage to protect the MUV2 control unit and to allow the heat generated by the coils to dissipate. I thought about molding some foam to fit inside the box and contain the coils but this will I think be a good way to shorten the life of the coils through over-heating.
There are two, possibly three other bits of kit to find space for, 1 the ignitech ignition module, about the size of a Swan vesta matchbox and the starter solenoid (with possibly an associated relay). I am confident all these and associated wiring will fit nicely in the tray I have moulded into the rear of the battery tray. The only issue is that this tray is located very close to the underside of the carburetor float bowls which is not clever at all. I do not have any other available space so I think I will have to make a cover for this tray keep the volatile liquids away from the sparky bits.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote