View Single Post
Old 23-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #397
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Today’s efforts frustrated in the morning by UPS (see Pet Hates posting). This afternoon taking on board Utopia’s comments I redesigned the brake hanger hub and started to cut metal taking the 82.5mm bar down to 75mm for 26mm then started on the reduction to 50mm for the 15mm closest to the chuck. School run duties necessitated a halt to proceedings. Tomorrow I will finish the 50mm section, use my largest morse taper drill (15/16”) to bore a hole about 30mm deep into the bar and hopefully face the end furthest from the chuck with very light cuts as it will not be supported by the centre. I have ordered some new boring tool bits which are promised for delivery tomorrow and if they do arrive I will take the 15/16” hole out to 37mm. I do not have an internal micrometer,(though I have a bid on one on eBay) so this will be a slow process taking a cut and measuring with a Vernier caliper. Again, the cuts will have to be small to prevent too much load being put on the chuck jaws. I have not done any boring before so this will be rewarding if I get it right and frustrating and time consuming if I get it wrong.
My lubricant feed system worked after a fashion. The petrol tap I thought would be quite progressive in delivery of lubricant to the tool/work piece. In fact turning it on the lubricant flow was nothing , nothing , nothing, too much and far too much. Also the delivery pipe needs a better aiming system. I know I should be using paraffin for aluminium but I keep forgetting to get any so sump drainings will have to suffice for now. Note strides soaked and shoes now fully waterproofed

350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote