Thread: Capo.
View Single Post
Old 31-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #48
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I had a "Stewart" moment this morning.
I was on the drive, fitting a new rear wiper arm to my little Citroen C1 while waiting for the DHL delivery man to bring a new lithium battery for the monster.
I had sprayed the retaining nut and spindle with penetrating oil over the last three days .. Stewart would have approved of that.
The steel wiper motor spindle has a taper spline section which mates with an aluminium taper bore bush in the wiper arm, and the steel splines bite into the plain tapered aluminium bore to effect a lock to provide the drive.
I chuckled as I held the imaginary conversation with Stewart about the huge potential for galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals while I removed the old, corroded solid arm.
I knew he would have approved as I resisted the temptation to heave a spanner on the retaining nut with the consequent chance of damaging the wiper motor, preferring instead to carefully break away the damaged plastic wiper arm and then hacksaw a slit in the aluminium bush so it could be prised off carefully
I chuckled further as I went to the shed to fetch the little pot of blue, corrosion-block grease that he had given me years earlier .. which I duly smeared on the steel shaft and aluminium bush before fitting the new arm in position.
I chuckled yet again as I discarded the original plain steel nut and washer and instead bolted the assembly tight using a stainless, nylock nut and washer.
He would have approved of all of this.
I chuckled yet again as the DHL van then pulled up and my new lithium battery arrived .. since this was to a great extent a modification that had been inspired by Stewart's obsession with weight saving on a motorcycle (it saves a massive 5kg over the original wet battery on my bike).

Gone he may be .. forgotten, not a chance.

Battery is now fitted.
Time for a coffee and then its out for an "Italian tune-up" I reckon.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote