View Single Post
Old 19-06-2022, 09:42 AM   #22
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Ouch! pushing the envelope to extremes is always going to carry risks. Would longer chopped fibre strands increase tensile strength of the overall part?
Well I was thinking that I had made a reasonable job of manufacturing the p/stand. I lined the mould with chop tow, followed by about 4meters of continuous fiber wrapping around the pivot and traveling the length of the stand to the foot, this was then covered with more chopped tow. This is why (I think) the stand didn't actually snap but gave way gradually (giving the rather elegant collapse of the bike on to the tarmac).
One possibility is that the stands "stop" couldn't take the pressure and disintegrated, meaning that the stand went too far forward so extending the angle until the force ceased to be predominately up the stem in compression and became increasingly across the section introducing more tension & shear force. I'm just guessing, anyway I'll have to do some thinking before a Mk II version. My next project is a FCF "pivot block " for the rear of the petrol tank.
As always thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.