Thread: M600 Dark 2001
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
That made me grin to read.
It mirrors my own experience with my 750 so closely that I could have written it myself.
I can tell you that after 6yrs of ownership I still feel exactly the same, and I'll never sell it.
I even wrote a song about it........http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...irl#post431808

The design features of the 2-valvers just make so much sense.....
Two thumping great cylinders delivering bags of torque, in a narrow configuration that is balanced without need for secondary balace shafts, holds its weight down low, short stroke and buzzy (for a twin) with unburstable valve gear. Simple, lightweight and easy to work on, with no messy plumbing.
Rear suspension bolted straight on the back. Gorgeous, minimal steel trellis frame holds the rest of the essentials, and nothing more.
In my opinion the best all-round roadster ever designed.
I prefer the carby engines too....no complex electronics prone to expensive failures.
I love mine so much that its bordering on obsessiveness.

They do lack luggage capacity though (but I'm working on that).
I agree with Gary that a magnetic tankbag is the way to go for short trips.

Carb icing is a bit of a bitch, but pro.fst sorts it.
Actually its damp, humid conditions when its worst....low temps on their own aren't such an issue.

I got home the other night after a short return run across town, no more than 3 or 4 miles in heavy drizzle. Not the most inspiring of conditions. I parked up on the drive, went inside and put the kettle on, and then went round to open the back gate. As the gate opened and the monster swung into view I uncontrolably uttered the words "oh you absolute beauty". That's after 6yrs of ownership. I can't help it. I'm hooked.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote