View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 03:18 AM   #41
ledheadlamp

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOz View Post
More than a few have been killed welding or cutting vessels that contained flammable vapour. As I've mentioned I have the owner let the tank sit dry and vent for a week or so then I add a few more days to that once I get it. After that, if it has any significant smell of petrol it gets longer to sit and vent or completely filled with a detergent/water solution then drained and allowed to dry. Once I'm happy to start I leave a compressed air line in it on a flow of a few litres a minute using a low-pressure regulator and finally I swap to purging it internally with a good flow of argon for at least 10 minutes before I spark up, even after all that it still doesn't feel like a good thing to be doing.

Braze is a good repair, it allows the problem area to be closed up and reinforced without melting the base metal which if it is thin just wants to melt back and leave a huge area to repair.

Should the repair be more than they want to attempt and if the tank is essentially scrap at that point let me know and if we can get it down hear to Kent I can take a look. I'm not a professional and would do my best but I don't want to damage an otherwise repairable tank if I run out of skill.
I like your honest view of this.