View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 05:18 AM   #852
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Looking at the picture above I need to turn down the heads of the socket screws so the outside diameter matches the width of the clamp, stupidly, I didn’t measure the screw head size before cutting the 10mm plate for the clamp.
I spent a couple of hours finalising the belt cover moulds yesterday which are now as good as I can get them. Filling (and finish sanding) internal contours is a lot more difficult, fiddly and time consuming than the external contours on the patterns.
I also finished fibre glassing the tank recess mould (to take the filler cap) which will now need to cure overnight before I remove the pattern from the mould.
Then I machined the internal circlip groove in the fuel tank filler neck. The 46mm OD internal circlips came with large internal “ears” which when fitted inside the filler neck were too big to allow the cap (which has a tapered lead in to the spring mounted rubber seal) to sit down far enough to seal properly or for the latch on the locking pawl to work at all. I ground the ears down as much as possible without turning the circlip plier holes into slots and that did not work, so I then made the circlip groove as deep as I dared whilst still ensuring that the circlip gripped the inside of the groove and that did not do the trick either. I think I will have to buy a 47mm OD internal circlip and deepen the circlip groove further and see if that works.
Reflecting on something Mr Gazza wrote about clip ons and sitting further back on the seat I have reluctantly concluded that I will have to lengthen my seat pattern. The original pattern length was based on the position of the original Monster seat with the hump located where the profile of the original seat changed from rider to pillion position. I will extend the seat pattern “deck” by c 50mm. Fortunately the deck will eventually be covered by foam and ambla so the finish of the extension is not in any way critical. At present I have nothing to sit on to test the right length for me. At least if it is too long it can easily be shortened before I cover it, vice versa is a bit trickier. The potential downsides of a longer seat are the aesthetic of the final design and possibly the positioning of the rear seat latch. This is the task for today
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote