View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #50
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
First. I think you would have to create a loop between the ports to preserve the essential flow. I believe there is a bypass in case the cooler gets blocked, but not enough for continuous use. Someone who knows better will verify this later hopefully.

You would probably get away with this for eight or nine months of the average year, but we are trending much hotter weather these days and the need for a cooler is getting more relevant.
I was most certainly glad of it a few weeks ago, riding home from Donington with Grumpy in the heat. Crossing Stamford and stopping at lights, I could feel the heat wafting up from the engine.
The tunnel run was another case where the temperature was at near unbearable point, even the water cooled bikes were suffering.
You will notice a temperature rise in traffic on a normal day anyway, the cooler helps with this even when stopped, but soon stabilises things once on the move.

I find that my cooler blanking muff keeps things nice and cosy when air temps are in the lower teens.
I removed it half way to the Weekender in May this year, when it quite dramatically turned into a nice day and I noticed the warm waft coming up from the engine at some road works lights... Just a simple matter of ripping the Velcro off with one hand and stuffing it up my jacket...It's been off all Summer, possibly to go back on in a few weeks time?

Personally, I would keep the cooler and use a muff, but in more Northern climes you might get away without the cooler.
Bypass it and run a temperature gauge to see what happens... You can borrow mine if you like. It just goes in the oil filler hole.