View Single Post
Old 16-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #32
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by makemdan View Post
the front suspension is pretty agricultural alm ost felt like it was bottoming out but I wasn`t going fast enough. Every bump was a boneshaker
So I need to return comp and reb to stock,wind in the sag and start from there. I note ChrisP`s K Tech upgrade seems to be the way to go but I can't afford that just yet.
Your experience with the Evo forks is pretty typical. Agricultural is the perfect description. You say you weren't going fast enough to bottom the forks but don't rule it out. The Evo has progressive springs and the first part of the stroke is pretty soft and gets compressed quite easily leaving only a reduced firmer part of the stroke to deal with bigger bumps or hard braking. Try slipping a cable tie round the stantion to see exactly how much travel you're actually using - you might be surprised.

Because of the progressive springs and ineffective damping, it's unlikely that you'll see much improvement simply by adjusting them. I carried out the same K-tech mods as Chris but the lightest springs they could fit were 8.5N/mm and I really wanted 7.5N/mm. I subsequently sent the forks to Maxton, who made a different spring spacer and fitted the 7.5N/mm I wanted.

If you don't want to commit to a full upgrade, you could consider just fitting single rate springs tailored to your weight with different fork oil. Crawsue did this - I sold him my 8.5N/mm springs. I believe he needed to modify the fork tops slightly to accommodate the springs so you could PM him to see what exactly was involved, what it cost and whether it was worth it.

I think I'd recommended tuning your current forks rather than fitting some from another model - even if you pick them up cheap, you're still likely to have to change their springing and damping to suit the Evo.

It's definitely worth the effort though - roads that were 'challenging' on standard springs are now a joy with the uprated suspension.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote