Thread: A close call.
View Single Post
Old 20-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I've seen this problem so many times with different Ducatis over the years, it gets tiresome. Something isn't right with the plug, its inadequate to deal with the current, we know the wires are just about capable. Where is the Reg/rec located on the 900Sie Gazza? If its under the seat the same as the S4 then it will get too hot and may cause this issue because of heat build up in the unit which in turn I think would heat the wires.

Ducatis answer over the years at least with the 748 and 916 was to change the plug to that type you have that failed was tp add beefier wiring and a larger heat sink to the reg/rec and a vent in the fairing lower to direct air onto the reg/rec unit. All have made improvements but not solved the issue completely. So I'm wondering if the problem is caused by a combination of poor connector which adds resistance and heat to the plug AND heat build up in the reg/rec and wires due to poor ventilation.

I'm going to be checking and cleaning mine in the next week or so but I have already relocated my reg/rec flipping in over and into more air flow, where it is noticeably cooler. I have lost count of the number of such failures from my 748 where the reg/rec is bolted to the front cylinder head, and just down wind from the front exhaust where it is always going to be too hot.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote