Thread: Ducati let-down
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
griffs

Ducati let-down

I am gutted!

I have spent time and effort getting my 2002 monster ready for the road. It was imported from the USA in 2002 but not registered and left in a corner of a car park. So I spent time and effort getting it restored ready for the road. All I had to do was get it inspected and registered in my name.....

To cut a long story short, because of the time period, the customs papers are invalid, so I need to get a CoC from Ducati. Seems simple enough. I have checked the requirements for Europe, particularly NL. I either get the bike tested at an official test centre for another 650 Euro's or I show a CoC from Ducati. This will satisfy the registration department.

The requirements for typing in NL to EC 04/2002/24 are:

Headlight must have EC stamp
Exhaust must have EC stamp.
Tyres must have EC stamp
Side stand must have cut out
Exhaust must not be louder than 95 db
Emissions must be within EU specs.

Well the bike left the factory with all of the above stamps and requirement, except that the engine mapping is altered to take into account the higher controls in the USA. Therefore in my opinion, the bike exceeds the requirements for Europe so there shoud be no problem getting a certificate. Thats not what Ducati say.

But Ducatti in Italy inform me they do not provide CoC'S!!! How can this be when other manufacturers do. I am gutted.

I have already spent 1400 getting the bike roadworthy and I don't need the hassle of spending another 650 euro to have the bike tested - when it already has EU components fitted and emissions are better than most bikes.

I am really disapointed with Ducati and the fact that someone with some common sense can not help me.

What I am planning to do now is to chop up the bike for parts and see if I can recover my costs. A complete waste. It has only done 1700 miles and with the fork overhall and powdercoat it looks almost new!

I can't believe that Ducati do not issue CoC's when other companies do.

Gutted. Holland.