View Single Post
Old 25-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Glad you're sorted Doggy.. I bet you went the long way home?
Did they fit a Motobatt?

Darren I have a 2V ie bike and the Motobatt is still going great guns. I think the batteries are failing due to optimates. This is not a scientific answer, it's just based on my loathing of the things from received information, mainly the short phrase.. " I've had it on an optimate, but..."
In the (g)olden days I would reckon on buying a new battery for a new bike, just because there was a very good chance it would be no good. I would go with Yuasa as that was the premium battery at the time. I generally replaced the batteries in the Spring when I serviced whatever bike for the new season. I only expected to get a year out of them. I would often take the battery off and start the Winter with a full charge, checking it occasionally if I remembered and even less occasionally giving it a trickle charge for a day if needed. This would sometimes massage another year out of them.
Another reason that they die over Winter is that they just don't like cold and definitely not freezing. Maybe AGM or Gel batteries are less prone to this? (they are not really dry.) I work in my bike shed in the Winter, so I spent a lot of time insulating it, I run a little electric/oil rad on tick over all Winter to make it comfortable for me and also preserve various tender materials. It also prevents condensation forming on stuff, so maybe that helps with little leaks of current that might happen on a damp bike?.. Again this is not science, just experience.