View Single Post
Old 13-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Aye, the battery is not charging

I've followed the directions on Kato's post, and come up with:

Battery voltage:
13v not connected to anything (freshly charged)
12.97v connected with nothing switched on (probably a pointless test really)
12v at idle (1k) with lights on
12v at rev (up to 6k) with lights on (well, 11.97 at this stage)

I think that safely sums up the no charging, but is the problem the RR or the Stator? To be honest, I couldn't tell, and I could have been doing these tests wrong.

This is all done on an £8 Rolson digital multimeter from Halfords, and I'll be the first to admit I'm not that clued up when it comes to testing.

First off, I set it to Diode mode, then to Resistance (on the smallest resolution - 20), and from what I can gather, when the display just shows a '1' off to the far left (instead of to the right when it's measuring something), it means there's no continuity/open circuit.

Testing the two stator output wires together I get 001 in Diode mode, 0.8ohm in Resistance mode.

Next I tested the stator input wires to the battery output wires (white & black) on the RR - in each case (Diode & Resistance) I get '1' (OC).

There is a another red wire, and I'm not sure what this one is - it's a pair from the RR which are joined together and connected to a single red wire on the bike (on a stock RR this is a spade connector). If I hold the negative meter lead to the red wire and the positive to the stator inputs, I get '1' for both tests. If I hold the positive to the red wire and the negative to the stator inputs, I get 441/436 on the Diode test (each number is for each stator wire).

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if I've messed up the whole test, but I think the 0.8ohms on the stator output suggests that the stator itself should be OK?

I realised after I'd finished that I didn't do an AC voltage check with the bike running, so I'll have to try that too.

Am I right, though, in thinking this is a duff RR and my Stator is probably fine?

Thoroughly confused
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote