View Single Post
Old 16-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #38
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
The other thing is that monsters, with their torquey power characteristics and relatively gentle top end don't exactly encourage irresponsible riding ...and furthermore, while the 750 does have enough power to do most jobs well, it doesn't have the crazy excess of most other biggish bikes. And being a naked, you're not going to be wanting to go that quick on fast roads anyway....
In the nicest possible way, I couldn't disagree more.

I have not come across a bike that more encourages a "ride it like you stole it" attitude than the Monster and, possibly, the smaller capacity ones are more guilty than the bigger ones. Not tried a 600, but have taken both the 620 and 750 round the best twisties that my part of the country has to offer, and they just love to be caned and thrown around corners. (And jumped over hump-backed bridges, ahem.)

Therefore, they're just as capable of getting you into trouble as anything else. Anything with a decent chassis and at least 50 bhp falls into that category.

However, I suspect what Utopia was really getting at, is that you'll get a rewarding riding experience at more sensible speeds that you just wouldn't get from, say, a 600cc inline 4. If that kind of experience is what you are after, then any sized Monster is a great choice. Just don't get a small one on the pretence that it'll make you more sensible than a larger engined one would - you'll just end up thrashing the smaller one more.

Nwsparky, again in the nicest possible way... you sound like you want a bike with every fibre of your being. So, if you have the pecuniary means and you are not making your family go short as a result, then my advice is to end all this fannying around, buttering up the wife, etc. and just get the bike you really want, and ride it as much as your heart desires. Your life is ending one second at a time. If you wish to placate the wife, then promise her you will get some advanced training and wear sensible clothing.

That should be enough, frankly.

Good luck.