View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #13
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
This is an impressive refurbishment - really good attention to detail. I only have one small criticism - I thought I'd bought everything I needed for my Evo until I saw those nice titanium caliper spring plates of yours. I think I might have to get a pair!

As far as an Oberon slave cylinder is concerned, I have one on my Evo with no problems.

Your stock slave is the same as mine (at least they share a part no. with just a different suffix letter, which, I think, just denotes a different finish). We do have different stock master cylinders and mine is 15mm. There should be a serial no. on your master ending in -xx where the -xx denotes the bore size.

I see from your picture that your new master is a 16mm, which will be larger than stock. A larger master size will increase the effort at the lever but give more lift at the slave.

A problem some people have after fitting an oversize slave is that the clutch drags or doesn't fully disengage. This is because a larger slave bore results in less effort at the lever but less lift for any given lever movement (i.e. the opposite of a larger master).

Provided your new 16mm master is the same or larger than stock, (and I'm sure it will be), then you'll be fine. The reduced clutch lift from the Oberon will be compensated for by the increased lift from the new master and the overall feel should be similar to standard.

For reference, here's a chart from ducati.ms that shows the effect of changing master and slave cylinders. (It's based on the old 13mm master so the measurements will be different but the principle's the same).

Look forward to seeing the finished product!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote