View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #35
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Here's a brief update. I got some BP Ultimate on Friday from a Southampton garage to check its ethanol content. I carried out the exact same test as at the start of this thread and was pleasantly surprised to find zero ethanol.

So, in Southampton at least, there are currently two sources of 'clean' fuel available.

Don't forget, it's a simple matter to check your own fuel; no special equipment is needed. If you're not trying to calculate the actual percentage of ethanol but just want to know if any ethanol is present, an old jam jar will suffice.

As I understand it, the addition of ethanol is not part of the refining process; it happens at distribution. The 'clean' fuel and ethanol are mixed in the tanker prior to delivery. Consequently, the situation at your local garage could change overnight, with the next delivery in fact.

I'll check again in a few months and let you know of any changes.

As for the legislation requiring suppliers to provide 'protection grade' fuel (post #34), this expired on 1 January 2017 and, so far, has not been replaced. Since the whole biofuel issue is as a result of an EU directive, perhaps this won't be reviewed until Brexit has been completed. Again, if I hear anything, I'll let you know.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote