View Single Post
Old 21-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #773
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
The wheels now balanced, the balancer worked well. The front wheel required 20g and the rear 25g so I do not think I wasted my time. I did it without the discs fitted which might be a mistake.
It is one of those jobs though that it is very difficult to know when to stop. I made a mental rule that after adding a weight the wheel had to stop at 5 different positions (within any 10 minutes segment around an imaginary clock face if that makes sense) and then it could be considered in balance.
I had two slight concerns in the process: 1) I could only get 5g steel weights (which were not easily cut down as lead weights would have been) and I felt that I could have done a better job if I had access to 2g and 1g weights; and 2) The area where weights could be stuck to the Dymag wheel rim did not match the profile of the adhesive pad on the back of the weight (too narrow and slightly convex) so I have a concern that the weights may not stay where they were applied. I will take a couple of photos so if any go missing in the future I can replicate their replacement without removing the wheel.
Otherwise the mould making continues and all “easy” moulds have now had 3 layers of 300g chopped strand. I have used over 5kg of resin so far and these are all the smaller moulds.
I will leave the moulds for a couple of days to cure fully before trying to separate them. I am quite nervous of the outcome when I do try to split them as I have a lot of time (and not inconsequential money in materials, resin, hardener chopped strand glass mat) invested in getting thus far. Concerns are:
Will the mould separate cleanly from the pattern? And if not can I salvage the pattern for a second attempt?
Will the mould be an unblemished copy of the pattern or will there be air bubbles or cavities or other defects that require yet more work?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote