View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 02:28 AM   #15
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
Love it, nice work.

I think some designs get misunderstood and only later come into their own. We’ve seen how the various monster updates over the years have divided opinions, some later getting better accepted, some less so.

The 999 springs to mind as another obvious example from Ducati. I for one quite liked it even at the time, though its looks were widely detested back then. Eventually time caught up to its then futuristic look and I think it’s much more appreciated today (maybe more than the 1098 which was I think a bit of a 916 pastiche and to me just screams fear driven rehashing). Ducati should maybe have held their nerve there, though the Panigale was certainly a daring and successful return to more cutting edge form.

And going further back I have a soft spot for the 860 GT designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, who had a similar problem of updating an iconic and widely loved bike. Everyone loves his Ducati font, the bike not so much. And many of them have consequently been turned into specials or 900ss clones etc. A shame I think as I quite like the design...

So I applaud your decision to keep all the original removed bits safe and make everything reversible back to standard.

BUT I have to say I think the 1000ss model is the exception to the rule of give it some time and the design will come into its own and be appreciated. It looks like it’s been repeatedly hit with the ugly stick then wandered dazed into the road and been hit by a sewage truck before catching fire and melting its bodywork into a shape like a well used church candle made from pensioners earwax... even painting it yellow didn’t help it, so we know it’s looks are beyond redemption... (though the half faired option is a bit better...).

On the other hand I really like the 900ss it’s a great looking bike. There is one often parked in the street near me and I always stop to take a look if I’m walking past - there would definitely be room in my fantasy lottery win garage for a 900SL any day. And the 1000cc DS motor is a peach so putting the two together is genius.

Many thanks for posting the build thread link, I needed a new build thread to devour given the excellent ones I’ve been following here are nearly done... good look wity the further work, keep us posted even if it’s not a monster...
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote