View Single Post
Old 16-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #1286
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Some good news and some bad news today.
The LED headlamp arrived, I didn't pay any extra charges or duty and it is intact and seems to work as advertised. Sometimes it pays to be objectionable.
The bad news was that before setting up the paint booth I thought I had better just test the tank with some of Esso's finest. It did a reasonable impression of a collander. One leak around the plate which the fuel tap seats on and another almost as bad further forward on the underside. I only got about 2 gallons in before I abandoned the test. I think the tank will hold about 5 gallons. Worryingly, there was evidence of further vapour seepage higher on the flanks and shoulders of the tank. So I drained about 1.5 gallons and I left it with a fan heater blowing cold air over the top of the filler cap hole. I have ordered another batch of Caswell's ethanol proof tank sealer.
I charged up my battery and pressed the starter. Nice clicking noise from the solenoid but no engine cranking. I ran a lightweight (11 amp) lead to the positive terminal on the case of the starter and earthed the casing of the starter and it cranked (albeit slowly) and the 2.5mm wire got hot quite quickly, I am a bit puzzled by this and tomorrow will try a HD battery lead. I think the solenoid must not be making a proper connection even though it is definitely reacting to the starter button.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote