View Single Post
Old 28-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #1283
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
After last week's minor success with hydraulics, this week was a week of setbacks. No one to blame but myself but that is sometimes how it goes.
Ten days ago I was advised that my LED headlamp was in the country - it is still not with me and a suspect I shall get a card through the door asking for customs' duties. My glass is always half empty.

In the headlamp's absence i decided to try to re-re-make the instrument glass - 2 more Fails (both cracked when I tried to put the 22 degree bend in them) convinced me the acrylic material (Wickes replacement window "glass") was the wrong stuff. I bought some face shields but they were COVID grade face protectors and far too flimsy (and only just transparent). They might come in handy for the second wave. I did win some browny points as my wife thought I was thinking of the family instead of that "bloody bike". Fail #4.
I have now ordered Lexan polycarbonate 2mm which I should have used in the first place.

I then turned my attention to the escutcheons (moulded from the cam bearing end cap logo) tp be used to secure the over seat strap that hides the gap between the hump and the glove box enclosure in the seat hump.
After 6 attempts I had two that were presentable and had cured to a satisfactory hardness. A number never cured properly, I think there is somethng in plasticine that reacts with laminating resin (and Araldite Rapid) that stops the curing taking place. I cut up some clips from an old drawer runner but when I presented it to the seat it just looked completely NAF so that idea was scrapped.

With nothing better to do I thought I should connect the battery and test all my wiring.
Initially hardly anything worked except the LH indicator.
After a bit of twiddling most circuits are now OK but the MU unit threw me for some time as it has a latching logic (presumably designed to work with their expensive push button controls (which I do not want as they require fairly large holes (8mm) being drilled in the handlebars as I am not comfortable with Swiss cheese clip-ons).
I still have no discernable life in the TV monitor or the starter solenoid and worryingly the low beam wire to ther headlamp is permanently live independent of the light switch or the ignition switch. Puzzling . Fail # 5 to ??????? who knows with electrics?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote