View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clockie View Post
A clutch is a clutch: what else do you expect it to do beyond engaging smoothly and not slipping?

To be honest, I don't recall much difference between the original steel drum and plates and the new all-alloy one I put on the ST4. The motor might have spun up a fraction faster but that wouldn't make much difference with the sedate way I ride. A slipper clutch would similarly be lost on me but I admire the Men who need one!

Nick
You might actually be surprised on how much nicer they are to ride with a slipper. You say you don't need one and I used to think the same until I fitted one to my 748 and I was so impressed and surprised when I could feel it working when downshifts weren't exactly spot on that would unsettle the bike, I got one for the S4 too.

I mean you can ride them and downshift without the manual clutch if you want aswell they just have to work harder/wear quicker but I always use the clutch as I would normally but either way it takes all the stress out of the engine/gearbox and drivetrain and the bike is rock steady.

There are a few downsides however as servicing is a little bit more involved and you can no longer bump start, but who can do that anyway?

Ally basket and plates is worth doing if only to stop the ringing noise you get with a steel basket and they do spin up a bit faster and roll on acceleration is better; even more with a light flywheel.

There was a guy on ebay Italy 'Desmoinside' selling new DP SBK '08 versions for £400 which is a really good price, if you can find one. It's one of the best mods I've done and one which I would certainly recommend and do again.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote