View Single Post
Old 27-02-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
BigOz

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
The quotes I’m getting are in the region of £180 which I don’t know if that’s excessive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
Spoken to a welder today he reckon he can get away with tig welding it?
I've TIG brazed 4 tank hinges in the past using silicon bronze filler.

I don't doubt it could probably be TIG welded successfully but brazing can have the advantage of lower heat input into the job so less damage to the local paint and it runs a lower risk of finding a thin or corroded spot and burning though since you don't melt the base metals when brazing. The first tank I repaired was old and rusty so I brazed it and I've stuck with that method of repair since.

£180 may not be as expensive as it seems, depending on what the welder is required to do to complete the job. A lot of welders will turn down used fuel tank work straight away as it's risky if your not careful and an insurance nightmare I imagine.

The tank needs making safe removing all residual fuel and vapours. (I'd re-do this even if the owner assured me it was done.)
The paint needs removing in the area of the repair, even the little bits trapped under the edges of the spot-welded hinge or they will outgas when welded over and result in a porous weld or braze. This part can feel like it takes half an eternity.
The actual repair.
Leak testing.

The quickest part of the job is the actual repair. It can be tricky to work between the hinge and the back seam of the tank where the bottom is resistance welded to the top, but the rest is easily accessible.

If the tank arrived paint removed spotlessly in the area of the repair, cleaned, degreased and the owner said he didn't want the repair leak tested before return then £180 is expensive.

If it arrived unprepared with fuel residue still inside and the owner wants it repaired and the repair tested not to leak then you could be at it for a full working day plus consumables and £180 sounds too little for someone trying to make a living and feed their family.

Last edited by BigOz; 27-02-2020 at 08:05 PM..
BigOz is offline   Reply With Quote