View Single Post
Old 01-01-2024, 07:46 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Grabbed another few minutes today, but still skirting round the edge really and not yet grasping the nettle.
I've rubbed some of the mirror chrome powder coating off the footrest hangers with my boots after 30k+ miles of all weather riding. The substrate is black and niggles me, but not really wanting the expense and bother of re-coating them, I thought I would try a cover up.

Initially I thought of getting some thin self adhesive stainless "Rub rails" laser cut, but I had the idea to try some aluminium tape today.
I've made a 1.5mm ply template for them which I can hand easily by flipping it over.
This is clamped over a piece of the tape on a bit of clean flat mdf. I then run a new Stanley blade carefully round the template to produce a little sticker with backing paper.
When this is very carefully applied it can be buffed up with Silvo formerly know as Duraglit. It rubs down very smooth and the edges go down nice and neatly.
I learned how to use this as a finish on model planes and it is really tricky to use, but can look okay if you're really careful and the substrate is smooth.
Bit of a bodge really, but we'll see how it lasts and if I can accept it.

Also rubbed my spare tank over with some 150 to give the stripper a start into the paint, but didn't commit to putting any stripper on.