View Single Post
Old 16-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #962
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I spent a long time today getting the tank top out of its mould. The LH side took about an hour but the RH side took, 6 chisels, 6 screwdrivers and 3 tyre levers and about 4 hours to separate it. The component itself is OK, certainly repairable with one side a lot better than the other which had some collateral chisel damage.

Over the previous couple of days I have put down a couple of laminations on the fly screen and also a CF sheet to be used for the dash board which will be bonded into the fly screen and bolted to the instruments. Each of the tank top, the CF sheet and the fly screen got another lamination today, running out of epoxy resin stopped further progress.

Unable to make further progress with the CF tasks I gave the seat what I thought would be its last rub down and a further coat of primer. In primer it is obvious that another rub down will be necessary.
I thought I would trial fit the hugger to the swinging arm, just a matter of drilling 5 x 6.5mm holes I thought. Oh no not at all. The original M900 hugger was made of a fairly flexible plastic and I used the old hugger to make the mould for my CF one. What I did not realise was that when removed from the swinging arm the perfectly flexible plastic relaxes. I made a pretty good copy of the hugger in its relaxed state. CF, whilst flexible, is amazingly rigid, the lugs on each side of the swinging arm were 25mm inboard of my CF hugger. That made finding the right place to drill the 4 holes a bit of a challenge. I eventually managed it although one side sits about 5mm higher than the other which I will have to rectify before it gets finally painted.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote