View Single Post
Old 20-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I also removed the tube connecting the catch tank to the airbox, but left the catch tank in place and fitted a small filter to its outlet.
I know that others have removed the tank altogether but for me, that was too much disruption to the std system and likely to cause issues.. after all, the tank wouldn't be there at all if it wasn't needed.
I guess you might argue that the tank merely seperates out any liquid oil before shooting the vapour into the airbox, but I still preferred to play safe and leave it in place
The tube connecting it to the airbox on the other hand, is just a minor addition for emission control purposes .. and its raison d'etre is more political than practical, in my opinion.

That doesn't help with your packaging problem though.
Have you considered changing to a lithium battery ?
This opens up a whole can of worms regarding their safety, but they do release quite a bit of battery box space as well as saving many kilos in a high location .. 5.5kg in the case of the old wet batteries.

Another option might be to fit a filter on a longish "stack" tube above the breather unit, in place of the tank.
This may partially substitute for the function of the catch tank.
I've heard of this being done but can offer no insight as to its effectiveness on a monster, I'm afraid.
I do run a similar system on my trailie thumper though, and haven't had any problems there (and being a big single, you might expect its need for decent breathing to be more critical). This is an older engine though, built in the 90s and with its design probably hailing originally from the 70s. It originally also had a catch/separator tank system, but no controlled "breather valve unit" as far as I'm aware (certainly not an external one anyway).
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote