View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #36
Stephenniall

Well what was originally going to be a quick tidy up has moved onto something much bigger.

I noticed a cracked weld on the steering stop of my Monster, and was having a look at what it'd cost me to have it welded, then strip & paint the frame. As it's a matt finish it isn't easy to do a small spot repair (especially with the paint being over 20 years old and in poor condition).

After getting some quotes, I was on eBay late one night and found a full frame for sale, with a nice Private reg that came with the frame, I quickly got it bought, It was delivered thursday and I've dropped it off at my shot blasters to be blasted.

After browsing through some threads on here, I was going to get my frame powder coated, I've had frames in the past done and have been really happy with the finish and colour, however I know how hard it is to get the original bronze/gold colour matched for powder, so I opted to paint the frame myself.

Once the frame gets back from the blasters, I'm going to have one of the panel beaters at work reinforce some of the original factory welds (mainly around where the steering stop is that cracked on my original frame) with some Mig Braze. I'll then get it sanded down and into primer.

I've dropped off a sample of the frame colour to be matched at a local supplier, and once I get that back I'll do some spray out cards to check the colour, and the gloss level of the clearcoat. It can be difficult to match the OEM level of gloss in the clear, So i'll have a few spray out cards with different mixtures of matt/satin clearcoat to try and get as close to the original gloss levels.