View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Parking it up for the winter.

I've just mentioned in another post that due to a lack of funds lately I've decided to SORN the bike for the winter (and cancel the insurance - saving me £118 p/mth, so it's not all bad...), which gives me the chance to sort out the electrical issues and a few other things.

EDIT 10/03: So I didn't really get any of this done over winter, but I got the RR replaced and am now trying to sort out fueling issues...

Electrical:
* Check the stator / replace it if dead - Not dead, yay!
* Replace RR with the FH020AA MOSFET type (and higher quality connections), Replaced - charging now working!
* Replace Starter/Battery wiring and replace the starter relay

Mechanical:
* Check the belt tensions, as they were replaced shortly before I purchased the bike
* Replace chain & sprockets (any suggestions here for a tried & true brand, just looking to replace to stock spec, but keen on thoughts especially around type of chain)
* Remove scottoiler (doesn't appear to work, and I have a method that's worked well for me - ATF in a squirter can, put the bike on a rear stand after each tank of fuel/ride in the wet and give the chain a decent squirt) - Gone, it appears to be part of my fueling/vacuum issues
* Replace the air filter - Done, got a Pipercross in there
* Oil change just before it goes back on the road

Mods:
* Replace horrible streetfighter twin headlights with something resembling stock (but better)
* Replace the mirrors with bar end units
* Come up with a solution for mounting the brake reservoir as it currently clamps to the mirror stalk (the aftermarket brake master cyl doesn't have the mounting for the reservoir that the stock one has). Might be as simple as cutting the mirror off the stalk and painting it the same gold as the brake/clutch masters - Easy solution - buy a mount that bolts to where the mirror was, duh!

Nice to haves if time/money allows:
* Replace speedo cable sheath at the cluster end (cable is forced to bend and the sheath has split due to the silly streetfighter headlights, so I'm worried about 'weather' getting in there and seizing the cable over time)
* Replace the indicators
* Replace the needle & needle valve/emulsion tube with the stronger nickel plated type sold by factorypro.com (for those who are not aware - stock needles have a tendency to rattle against the inside of the tube, ovaling it over time and causing poor fuel atomisation at idle/low revs, leading to fouled plugs and lower fuel economy)

If I get all of the above done, I think all I have left to do is the black paintjob w/ gold twinline decals, re-lacquer the carbon fiber bits, and possibly get the seat re-covered. But that will all probably wait until the following winter...

Last edited by FrankenDesmo; 10-03-2020 at 08:28 AM..
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote