View Single Post
Old 14-11-2018, 01:19 AM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Loose connector FH001 regulator

A common modification on many Ducatis is to fit a Shindengren type MOSFET Regulator either FH001 ,FH020 or FH012 etc they are not the usual old shunt type and can handle the heat problem much better and smoother,,

They are usually onnected by Furukawa connectors ,, but sometimes they can get loose feed connector from Alternator and different models of the shindegren Regulators have slightly different locating slots , especially if supplyed for yamahas ,,

my S4 has thes mods and its much more reliable in hot Thailand however the main feed from Alternator sometimes gets loose due to the location pins on regulator being for a yamaha R1 , i have modified the slot but as a back up i also place a tie wrap around the connector to lock it against the body of the regulator ,, this is not a problem on the output furukawa connector to battery its not model sensitve ,,,

just a tip , its definitely worth using MOSFET RR My S4 has killed 4 shunt types over last 14 years .

But my M750 in UK and my 2 wire 750ss both have original Shunt types one is 27 years old the other 18 , I think that having them out in front may be the answer as they run cooler ,, The S4 has its RR behind engine under the seat ,, much hotter ,, I have also tried relocating shunt one in the past to front of bike and also rear behind nunber plate but mad eno difference they still got to hot on the S4 in Thailand ,, but the MOSFET one seems more able to handle heat