View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
If you've searched for earlier threads on the subject then no doubt you will have seen my previous comments.
So this is just to confirm that my discs are still 100% pulse free after around 30,000 miles in total, despite being afflicted in their earlier life. They also run extremely smoothly through the calipers when pushing the bike around or spinning the wheel.
I would agree with everything that Gazza has said.
I suppose you could try a seriously good clean up using a flat pad wrapped in fine grade wet 'n dry abrasive .. depending on how confident you are that you can do this evenly and keep everything flat. I did this on mine but I'm not sure that it was really necessary ... I think that the hard usage cycling was what made the difference.
Given that your bike has been standing for a while, its certainly worth starting by checking that all the bobbins are clean and free to rotate, but in my experience this has never cured the pulsing. Do this slowly by hand .. don't spin them with an electric drill as sometimes recommended .. this just causes unnecessary wear. A slow turn and a wiggle is what you want, while flooding with brake cleaner (or maybe meths). Drape an old towel over the rim to catch the gunk and turn the wheel so that you only clean the bobbins when they're at the lowest point.
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote