View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
EvoStevo

Having problems firing it up?

I've had this problem only a couple of times over the last year. Scenario is, bike starts up no worries. Spend about 45 mins (ish) riding around countryside, at relatively slow speed (around 30 - 50ish), whilst out with a mate who's just passed his CBT. Stopped, this time for fuel, and the bike won't restart.

Symptoms appear to suggest a low charge on battery i.e. struggling to turn it over, lights dipping etc. Waited 10 mins and tried again, same symptoms. Called out breakdown. Waited about 30 mins and tried to start again. This time the bike fired into action with no issues.

Initially I thought I might have a dud battery, but why would it have fired into life so easly after waiting about 40/50 mins? I did notice that the area surrounding the engine felt very warm, however, the instrument panel wasn't suggesting that the engine was running hot. Obviously, once I'd waited for some while, the engine had clearly cooled down.

Any thoughts? Is there some thermo valve that's kicking in too early? Could it really be a battery problem? Am I missing something (other than to stop riding so slowly!!)

Grateful for your thoughts.

Steve