Thread: A happy memory.
View Single Post
Old 21-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #10
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
My Christmas present from Heather 4 years ago, was a tour of the restoration hanger based at Biggin Hill.
Had a fascinating afternoon being shown around the various aircraft being restored/refreshed. Mainly Spitfires of various marks, plus a Hurricane.
Tucked at the back of the hanger was the oldest flying ME109, a 'E' variant. The plane had been recently purchased by a British collector. The aircraft was being refreshed along with obtaining an airworthy certificate for the British display circuit.
Seating proud as punch on the front of the airframe was a Mercedes Benz engine.
If memory serves me correctly, the RAF back in the '90's displayed a ME109G, totally original. I remember having a conversation with the ground crew the first season the plane was displayed. Apparently the aircraft was captured in North Africa, taken back to Britain for assessment against the current batch of Allied planes, put in a crate at the end of the war, pushed to the back of a hanger and forgotten about for over 30 years!
Unfortunately the 109 was crash landed after several seasons of flying. It, as far as I know, has never been restored to flying condition.