View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #869
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Good couple of days at the “office” so far this week. The tank mould is now about 30% complete, I started with the top surface and the LH side half came out beautifully, this is the result of about 4 hours work.

The lower part of the divider for the RH side “sprung” a bit and had to be re-positioned to align with the top, this was done with the aid of 2 PK screws, one screwed into the solid side and the other into the “sprung” side. Some string was pressed into use with a lolly stick as the lever for a tourniquet – worked a treat. The RH side is now first coated with gel coat, tomorrow it will get its second gel coat then 24 hours to cure followed by a coupling coat with 100g glass mat and then 4 layers of 300g mat and polyester resin.

The seat pad mould is now finished, subject only to adding some small tabs to the bottom edge that will locate in some slots to be cut in the seat base; it will all be secured with a single Dzuz fastener at the apex of the hump. The other part of the opening for the glove compartment has been glued to the front face of the seat hump; this will have a 3mm recess 3mm bigger in every dimension than the raised part on the seat pad mould. I intend to cut the hole for the opening about 6 mm smaller than the raised part on the pad and edge the CF with U shaped rubber moulding, to act as a water seal and to prevent the CF edge tearing your hands.

Finally I have been looking at the rear suspension rocker sitting on the bench for about a month now trying to decide whether to polish it or paint it and once I had decided to paint it I could not decide whether it should be satin black, silver, red or some other colour. Got off the pot today and rattle can painted it the same colour as the engine, anthracite. It came out well, the can was placed in front of the fan heater for about 5 minutes after shaking and before spraying.
Finally I have done a preliminary sketch of the colour scheme, red of course with carbon masked off to provide panel edgings.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote