View Single Post
Old 27-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Ha ... Yes it is, but I assume you're only jokingly asking the question anyway.

Moving along .. I now have a possible solution .. and its so simple and obvious that you wouldn't believe it.
The spring on my stand connects to the anchor point on the sidestand bracket via a short metal link plate.
As I said before, this plate is curved, but I believe this is only a hangover from the earlier "suicide" self-retracting stand, where (I think) the curved plate is designed to catch on a projection from the pivot bolt, to provide the self-retracting function.
On my stand, this curved plate catches on nothing .. it could just as easily be a straight link.
But here's the thing ... it would be a simple matter to make a shorter link, thus putting more tension in the std spring/s.
Its obvious, but I hadn't really thought about it much yet and just started a thread on the subject to see what cropped up.
I have Capo to thank for pointing out the obvious solution.
So, I'm gonna make myself a shorter link .. probably just a straight one and in stainless.
Then we shall see if more spring force does improve the situation or not.
I'm not entirely convinced that it will .. it may be necessary to reposition the spring location point (as has been suggested) to get it to work properly, but the new link plate is such a simple thing to make and install that its got to be worth trying as a first attempt.

This is the great value of a forum such as ours.
You can put out some half thought out musings, without fear of being ridiculed, and get back some workable answers.
I thank you all.

And naturally, if it works, I'll post up the relevant dimensions for copying and/or make a few extra myself and pass them around.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote