Thread: Cush Drive....
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #18
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I had a long chat with my chartered engineer friend this morning about altering the SSSA poly bushes to fit the Brembo wheel. To cut a long CV short, he has worked with Peter Williams, Lotus and the MOD among others, so he knows what he's talking about.

We came to the conclusion that cutting the poly bushes or altering their dims and surface is fraught with difficulty and brings uncertainty about their performance. Think about it.. Altering the volume of the shock absorbent material, alters it's shock absorbing property, by virtue of how much of it is left to absorb the shocks.
Altering the wheel is also a very unknown quantity, without inspecting and measuring one in detail... Anyone on here willing to have a wheel machined out to try??.. I thought not.

As far as I'm concerned this is too problematic a venture to bother with, given the high mileages that the originals put in and their relative cheapness compared to a conversion.

We agreed that the standard bush material is very long lived and does not usually deteriorate by hardening. The time to worry is when visible disintegration is seen.

Since the problem is in the play that seems to develop in the pin/bush interface. the cheapest solution suggested is to knurl the pins to take up the fit.
It would only be necessary to knurl a short length of each pin. this could be done multiple times on different areas of the pin each time... I think we would be looking at well over 100,000 miles service out of the same bushes and pins here... My kind of fix...