View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Re-test this morning and I now have an MOT...

I spent some time cleaning the calliper properly, extending the pistons and drowning them in brake cleaner resulted in being able to push them both back easily with finger pressure.
Where I had used Coppaslip, it had blended with brake dust to form a gum that must have been resticting the pad free movement.
These organic pads do produce a lot of dust, so I am resigned to more frequent and thorough cleaning to keep things sweet.

I replaced the bushes that let the calliper float and the new ones are nice and tight, with no perceptable play at the calliper end whatsoever...The calliper was moving just over a millimeter in and out before, but it was the twist that was the killer. The bush had lasted 6232 miles and still had grease in it when I removed it..The tester suggested Graphite grease, so I will try some quite soon. He also persuaded me not to fit a grease nipple for fear of grease dropping onto the disc when it exuded.

Luke kindly looked up the fitment of backing plates on the pads when I rang him to to sort the return of my new master. He confirmed that they are not an original part and are not listed for my model.
My pads had both worn on the leading edges and as a pair were about 2mm narrower at the front than the trailing edge...It was actually a very effective brake.
I still don't understand the mechanism by which it was locking in reverse, but it was definately doing it...Just a combination of wear and muck I assume....All sorted now...

As a bonus, my new spark plugs have tranformed my Monster back to it's silky smooth self again, having gotten a bit groggy around the 3000rpm mark.

A second bonus was meeting emzedder just heading out for a ride on his lovely 250 Ducati...Great to catch up and have a nice little ride out again.
250 looking absolutely superb with new ally tank and a red racing seat that I made for emzedder's dad about forty years ago for his Honda racer. (CB72 I think?)