View Single Post
Old 30-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #13
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
When I first got my 750 and was pondering the issue of belt tensioning, my initial inclination was to try to use a spring balance.
In the end I didn't but instead settled on a combination of the allen key method, a 45 degree twist test and a good general jiggle about with both the old belts before removal and the new ones after fitting.
I tend to avoid harmonic methods because it requires the trusting of both the device used and your technique .. too much scope for error, for my personal comfort zone.
However I am a believer in using multiple methods, to cross check each other.

So I now find myself wondering exactly where (and how) you attach the balance, how you ensure (maximise ?) a 90 deg pull, and how much you pull to achieve satisfactory tensioning ....?
And I'm guessing its too late for a pic by now ?

On the tensioner bearing replacement, I guess the object of the exercise is not so much to replace a bearing which is definitely about to fail but more to achieve peace of mind about a bearing that might be.
So job done, even if the old ones seemed fine.
I'll be doing mine at 30,000 miles too.
Yes true enough, I do kind of 'feel' the tension a bit to make sure I'm happy with everything after it is tightened up as it is not possible to achieve a 90° pull with a spring balance but looking at the factory manual using the Ducati factory spring balance tool that was favoured 'in the old days' nor do they.

As for where it fits to tension it up, I flattened the hook of the spring balance so it fits in the groove between the bearings but there's this guy on eBay selling these as a kit- I made the cup part up out of some metal we had at work but in reality it is really difficult to fit on a Monster engine because of the motor shape and frame tubes so I've never used it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-PA...IAAOSw9r1V-E9q

This is the method actually listed in the Haynes manual and they found the pull to be ten pounds on the spring balance- I just use a 'Little Samson' and check it using one then two bags of flour- always close enough and I've never re-tensioned them between changes either.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALTER-LI...gAAOSw3yxZmumE