View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #26
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Cheers for the heads up, I'll have a look into it and see about subscribing.

I took it out for a ride this evening after tidying up the RR wiring (and double checking that it hadn't all decided to pack up on me overnight - it hadn't ) - unfortunately it was hesitating and popping through much of the rev range, and decided to idle at 3-3.5k . It does pull like a train when I'm able to open it up (and tbh I barely hit half throttle it pulls that hard!), still with hesitations on the way up but not as bad as when doing low speed stuff.

Definitely wasn't this bad before I put it to bed for 4 or so months, but it did have moments of hesitation back in September/October when I was briefly riding it before realising the RR had packed up. The airfilter is filthy, I've got a pipercross on the way (arrives Monday), as well as a pair of DR9EA spark plugs. The fuel is 4+ month old unleaded from morrisons, so I guess that could have gone bad? I thought petrol lasted a bit longer than that tbh.

I suspect I'll need to make adjustments on the carbs, so I'm reading up all about that now as I've never been one to touch them previously. Looks like I might need to invest in a decent sync tool, and depending how bad things are I may look at getting the emulsion tubes & carb kit from Factory Pro.

Trouble is, I really have no idea about the history of this bike, and the engine really does feel especially powerful - much more so than the '99 M900 I originally had and the '05 S2R 800 that followed. They were both more or less on-par, with the 800 possibly being a little more powerful (the '99 had about 85,000k - 52500mi - on the clock and would have been a W-head model). So I'm wondering if this is just the difference between an elderly small valve and a (potentially) well-kept big valve, or if this motor has been breathed on. That might make tuning a bit more difficult. But then again, it's already got the airbox lid chop and a full exhaust system, so it's not going to be stock settings anyway.

Ah well, should be fun figuring this bike out!
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote