View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #827
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
When my poor old arthritic hands could take no more of wheedling out the marine ply ignitech pattern with a chisel I decided to have a go at the fly-screen, as with the hugger I left a good margin (75mm) and used my trusty Milwaukee jig saw (I love that tool) to trim the mould. 12 x 6mm register holes were drilled and about 6 chisels used to separate the mould. There were lots of cracking noises and quite a lot of trepidation as to the twisting force applied to the chisel to separate the mould from the pattern but in the end it was extremely satisfying. It separated with no chisel damage to the mould. Unfortunately, I will still need to do a couple of filler repairs where the gel coat either, took umbrage and refused to adhere completely to the pattern, or operator error occurred and an air inclusion was unaccountably in the gel coat.
which fallout is better

I had a look at my ETTC (estimated time to completion) on my Excel spreadsheet and despite the 3 hours overrun today getting the ignitech mould ready it has now dropped to below 250 hours – obviously it has got absolutely nothing to do with the time it will take me but satisfying progress nevertheless.
Tomorrow I hope I will have time to make the means of securing the air scoops to the frame – 12 x 40mm x 40mm x 1mm aluminium plates then drilled then shaped and bent and the gel coat on the other side of the air scoops and if I am feeling strong the separation of the hugger pattern from its mould. I have a strange feeling it will be more difficult than the fly screen because of the reverse angle half way along the bottom plane?????????????????

350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote